Sunday, December 27, 2009

His Story

I want to remember every detail about the best day of my life, so this will probably be a pretty long post  :)

Sunday, December 20
Michael and I spent most of the day hanging out at the house. I did a few last minute things at the house and made sure we had everything packed and ready for the hospital. We were supposed to check in at the hospital at 5:30 Sunday night and we only live 4 minutes from the hospital. But I was SO anxious to get there and to get things going, I was up and ready to at 4:30!!
We left the house at 5:00 to go get Sonic for dinner. I realized I forgot my license and credit card at home because I had just switched purses, so we had to make a quick stop back home. Then we were on our way to the hospital!!

We got there, checked in, they asked about a gazillion questions and then started my IV. I was SO excited and SO nervous, I couldn't stop shaking. The nurse put the Cervadil in at 6:30 and warned me that I may feel "period-like cramps" and said that if it starts hurting too much I could get some pain medicine in my IV or I could take an Ambien to help me sleep. My family came up to see us for a while and brought a cute little snowman for my room so it would like Christmas!! :) When they left, Michael and I sat and talked about what it was going to be like to see our son for the first time and imagined what he would look like.  

I started to feel those "period-like cramps" so to try to relax we started watching Ratatouille. About 30 minutes into the movie, I was feeling WAAY more than "period-like cramps", but didn't want to say anything about how much it hurt because, shoot, I should be able to handle cramps, right!? We turned the movie off at 10:30, hoping to get a few hours of good sleep and hoping that the pain would  go away if I fell asleep. But it didn't. At all. It got so much worse. I kept flipping from side to side hoping I could find relief. Didn't help. So I finally bit the bullet and got the pain medicine around 11:30. It worked SO well...for about 30 minutes. The nurse said she could give me a stronger dose in 30 minutes. Longest 30 minutes ever!  The nurses kept coming in the room throughout the night to readjust  the montors on my belly because they would move when I flipped around. The pain medicine helped SOO much and I got it pretty much every hour. It also made me super sleepy, soit was nice to be forced to sleep instead of stay awake and be nervous! I got the last dose a little before 3:00 A.M.

Monday, December 21

Then, at 3:15AM, My water broke!!! On it's own!!! I didn't have to be induced at all! If you remember, I was told that I would have to be induced, my doctor would break my water and give me Pitocin Monday morning. I wanted Bryson to come on his own, so this was such an answer to prayer!! It was the craziest feeling. I was still pretty out of it since I just got the pain medicine a few minutes earlier. I hit the "Nurse" button on my bed and told her my water broke. That woke Michael up real quick and we were both so excited! I kept dosing off every few minutes. I tried really hard to stay awake, but that crazy medicine just wouldn't let me! The medicine was no longer strong enough to cover the pain, so I got the Epidural at 4:00 A.M. Apparently, I had been having contractions all night, NOT "period-like cramps," but since I was moving around so much, the monitor wasn't picking up the full contraction. Lovely! But anway, the Epidural was amazing! It didn't hurt at all. Michael watched the doctor put it in and was warned that it has a huge faint factor, but it didn't phase him at all. What a tough guy! :)

Shortly after I got the Epidural, my nurse was in the room every few minutes trying to readjust the monitor that was picking up Bryson's heart rate. I could tell something was wrong, but she wouldn't say anything. Finally, she said his heartrate had dropped into the 80's (It's supposed to be between 120-150)  I was terrified. I was so scared something was happening to my little boy and I couldn't do anything about it. It would go back up into the normal range and then drop shortly after. They gave me oxygen hoping it would help. At one point, one of the nurses ran in, turned all the lights on in the room, ran over and grabbed the sheets on the bed so quickly that it rolled me over onto my other side. I was becomming more and more upset and scared by the second. I thought that maybe it had to something to do with the epidural since it only started dropping after I got it, so I told the nurses to please take it out to see if it would change anything. She assured me it wasn't because of that, so I left it in.
At 6:30, the nurse checked me and I was fully dialated, 100% effaced and she said that Bryson's head was really low. At 7:00, she suggested that I do a couple practice pushes. So I did. After one push she told me to stop and not to do anything else until my Doctor got there because she could see Bryson's head! Michael and I had to call our families and tell them that Bryson was going to be here mch sooner than expected and to get to the hospital as soon as possible. The nurse called my doctor and we waited patiently  impatiently for him to get there! Dr. Shimer walked in at 7:45, got prepped ad ready and I started pushing at 8:01. I pushed for a total of 8 minutes, through 3 contractions and we got to see our beautiful baby boy at 8:09AM!!

It was the most amazing feeling in the world, holding our son and watching Michael with him. Oh my gosh, it melts my heart all over again just thinking about it. He is the most perfect thing I have ever seen and I still just stare at him constantly thinking how blessed we are to have him!

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! I am so glad that you did not have to be induced! God is good! I am so glad that you shared Bryson's story so we can all read about how he made his entrance.
    We continue to pray for you as the three of you adjust to your new life!